1Stand or wait around idly or without apparent purpose: she saw Mary loitering near the cloakrooms
More example sentences
- My only other complaint was the over-attentive waiters, who always seemed to be loitering somewhere nearby, waiting for something to happen or checking that everything was fine.
- It turns out Risaku's mere hunch became reality and an assassin stood there, loitering in the doorway.
- You're standing here loitering about in a very suspicious manner.
1.1Travel indolently and with frequent pauses: they loitered along in the sunshine, stopping at the least excuse
late Middle English: perhaps from Middle Dutch loteren 'wag around'.
- More example sentences
- They look for odd or suspicious behavior: heavy clothes on a hot day, loiterers without luggage, anyone observing security methods.
- Occasionally some loiterers try to bum a cigarette or an argument breaks out.
- One option may be to play classical music at the station in a bid to deter loiterers.