Definition of longhorn in English:
1An animal of a breed of cattle with long horns.
- The cattle judges were from a federal agency that knew all cattle and not just the longhorns and shorthorns.
- Well, I am from Texas, where longhorns - cattle, that is - are indeed common, so perhaps the image is not entirely inappropriate.
- The ranch has its longhorns and horses along with a variety of small animals for the children to visit.
2 (also longhorn beetle) An elongated beetle with long antennae, the larva of which typically bores in wood and can be a pest of timber.
- Family Cerambycidae (formerly in the superfamily Longicornia)
- The house longhorn is also a common pest in South Africa.
- Nerve compounds injected into vulnerable trees kill only 30 to 60 percent of the longhorns.
- Harmonic radar is one trick entomologists are using to understand the range of large insects such as the Asian longhorn.
Definition of longhorn in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan