Definition of longleaf pine in English:
A large pine tree of the southeastern US with very long needles and cones. It was formerly an important source of turpentine.
- Pinus palustris, family Pinaceae
- Generally only a very hot fire, one fueled by drought and a heavy buildup of fallen leaves and pine needles, will kill a longleaf pine.
- Ray builds the ecosystem up from the longleaf pine and examines the notable species diversity of these forests and their unique qualities as a habitat.
- Since longleaf pine does not produce annual growth rings during its juvenile grass stage, true age cannot be determined.
Definition of longleaf pine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.