Definition of longleaf pine in English:
A large pine tree of the southeastern US with very long needles and cones. It was formerly an important source of turpentine.
- Pinus palustris, family Pinaceae
- Generally only a very hot fire, one fueled by drought and a heavy buildup of fallen leaves and pine needles, will kill a longleaf pine.
- Ray builds the ecosystem up from the longleaf pine and examines the notable species diversity of these forests and their unique qualities as a habitat.
- Since longleaf pine does not produce annual growth rings during its juvenile grass stage, true age cannot be determined.
Definition of longleaf pine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan