- A type of deep-sea fishing gear consisting of a long main line anchored to the bottom to which shorter lines with baited hooks are fastened at intervals: [as modifier]: a longline fishing boatMore example sentences
- Albatrosses fall prey to longlines, baited hooks stretched for miles across the oceans by commercial fishing fleets.
- ‘It is hard to imagine, I know, but more than 300,000 seabirds are dragged to their death every year after swallowing baited hooks on longlines, many of which can go up to 80 miles behind a boat,’ said the Prince.
- Pairs of streamers are suspended above the longline, creating an ‘alley’ that albatrosses are reluctant to enter.
More definitions of longlineDefinition of longline in:
- The British & World English dictionary