Definition of longspur in English:
A mainly Canadian songbird related to the buntings, with brownish plumage and a boldly marked head in the male.
- Genus Calcarius, family Emberizidae (subfamily Emberizinae): three or four species
- Unlike most birds with different breeding and non-breeding plumages, longspurs molt only once a year.
- Long-billed curlews, burrowing owls, chestnut-collared and McCowan's longspurs summer in the park.
- Some common shorebirds and seabirds in the Southern Arctic are the semi-palmated plover, northern phalarope, lapland longspur, parasitic jaeger, and semi-palmated plover.
Definition of longspur in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.