Definition of longspur in English:
A mainly Canadian songbird related to the buntings, with brownish plumage and a boldly marked head in the male.
- Genus Calcarius, family Emberizidae (subfamily Emberizinae): three or four species
- Unlike most birds with different breeding and non-breeding plumages, longspurs molt only once a year.
- Long-billed curlews, burrowing owls, chestnut-collared and McCowan's longspurs summer in the park.
- Some common shorebirds and seabirds in the Southern Arctic are the semi-palmated plover, northern phalarope, lapland longspur, parasitic jaeger, and semi-palmated plover.
Definition of longspur in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan