- The part of a kidney tubule that forms a long loop in the medulla of the kidney, from which water and salts are resorbed into the blood.More example sentences
- The distal straight portion of the proximal tubule is in continuity with the thin limb of the loop of Henle, which extends into the kidney medulla and returns as the thick limb to the cortex.
- Loop diuretics frusemide and bumetanide have a powerful diuretic action, increasing the excretion of sodium and water via their action on the ascending limb of the loop of Henle.
- Moreover, other biological activities have been recognized, such as its action on the thick ascending limb of the loop of Henle and its role as a neurotransmitter or neuromodulator in the nervous system.
mid 19th century: named after Friedrich G. J. Henle (1809–85), German anatomist.
More definitions of loop of HenleDefinition of loop of Henle in:
- The British & World English dictionary