Definition of loose construction in English:
A broad interpretation of a statute or document by a court.
- With this legislation, tribunals are given explicit assistance in two forms, which should detract from the need to adopt a loose construction of the language.
- Mr Watson for his part does not argue for some loose construction; it is, as I have said, for a purposive construction for which he argues.
- Through loose construction, the early leaders of the United States were able to improve aspects of the Constitution, which eventually improved the overall life of the American citizens.
loose constructionist noun
- Example sentences
- Jefferson and Madison also had strict and loose constructionist policies with respect to military issues.
- A strict constructionist believes the constitution should be interpreted literally or strictly, while a loose constructionist believes in a broad or loose interpretation of the Constitution.
- I am attempting to be concise and rather general, so as to be interpreted by loose constructionists liberally.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.