- Any of various tall plants that bear upright spikes of flowers.
More example sentences
- ● several plants of the genus Lythrum (family Lythraceae), in particular the purple loosestrife (L. salicaria) of the Old World, now well established in North America. ● several yellow-flowered plants of the genus Lysimachia (family Primulaceae), in particular the garden loosestrife (L. vulgaris) of Eurasia and North America.
- Purple loosestrife can grow to 3-9 feet tall with several, square stalks per plant.
- Wildflowers here include water parsnip, fringed loosestrife, and hedge nettle.
- Purple loosestrife will grow vigorously and clog irrigation canals, ditches, stream banks and reservoirs, resulting in less water available for crop production and recreation.
More definitions of loosestrifeDefinition of loosestrife in:
- The British & World English dictionary