Definition of lorikeet in English:
A small bird of the lory family, found chiefly in New Guinea.
- Charmosyna and other genera, family Loridae (or Psittacidae): several species
- Active fast flying lorikeets and big birds such as cockatoos and macaws should be in a large flight aviary.
- The introduction of exotic diseases and trapping for the pet bird trade are also responsible for the declining numbers of lorikeets in the wild.
- On a leafless European tree, not more than ten yards from my window, are sitting upwards of thirty lorikeets.
late 18th century: diminutive of lory, on the pattern of parakeet.
Words that rhyme with lorikeetparakeet
Definition of lorikeet in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan