1Having or involving no dissipation of electrical or electromagnetic energy.
- Applications for this type of technology include lossless splitters in which an incoming beam is split into multiple output beams, each amplified by passing through the rare-earth-doped glass.
- For angles exceeding the critical angle, as defined for the lossless case, the refracted waves are evanescent and the reflectivity is very close to unity.
- In dense media with lossless reflection arising from multiple scattering, the threshold for laser action is greatly reduced.
1.1 Computing Relating to data compression without loss of information.
- One way to mitigate the packet loss problem is through lossless data compression.
- This is achieved by a lossless compression technique that can be as much as 6 times faster than before.
- It involves what is called lossless compression, which means that the images can be compressed so they can be sent quicker from one computer to another but without any loss of quality, thereby ensuring an exact copy.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of lossless in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.