- A person or thing that can no longer hope to succeed or be changed for the better.More example sentences
hopeless, beyond hope, futile, forlorn, failed, beyond remedy, beyond recovery
- The plot itself is far from coherent and often meanders, but in a sense this fits with the characters it encapsulates: a bunch of lost causes fumbling their way through life in search of an unattainable salvation.
- St. Jude, the patron saint of lost causes, has received excessive attention from me recently, despite the fact that I am not Catholic.
- But I'm afraid I've never been one for lost causes.
More definitions of lost causeDefinition of lost cause in:
- The British & World English dictionary