- (Of organisms or habitats) inhabiting or situated in rapidly moving fresh water. Compare with lentic.More example sentences
- Macrophytes play a key role in many unshaded lotic ecosystems, but little is known of the factors controlling their presence, abundance, and composition.
- Most important, perhaps, is the addition of lake-derived energy sources, including the high quality/quantity of seston upon which filter-feeding lotic insects depend.
- An understanding of factors that influence species richness of lotic insects is generally lacking.
early 20th century: from Latin lotus 'washing' + -ic.
More definitions of loticDefinition of lotic in:
- The British & World English dictionary