Definition of louse fly in English:
A flattened bloodsucking fly that may have reduced or absent wings and typically spends much of its life on one individual of the host species.
- Family Hippoboscidae: several genera
- Haemoproteus species are transmitted by biting midges (Citlicoides spp.; Diptera: Ceratopogonidae) and louse flies (Diptera: Hippoboscidae).
- These flies are also called louse flies and are ectoparasites on birds and mammals.
- Other louse flies overwinter as puparia presumably on or under the surface of the soil.
Definition of louse fly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan