Definition of louse fly in English:
A flattened bloodsucking fly that may have reduced or absent wings and typically spends much of its life on one individual of the host species.
- Family Hippoboscidae: several genera
- Haemoproteus species are transmitted by biting midges (Citlicoides spp.; Diptera: Ceratopogonidae) and louse flies (Diptera: Hippoboscidae).
- These flies are also called louse flies and are ectoparasites on birds and mammals.
- Other louse flies overwinter as puparia presumably on or under the surface of the soil.
Definition of louse fly in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.