1A romantic or sexual relationship between two people, especially one that is outside marriage.
- How could he possibly tell his parents that he was involved in a love affair with a married woman?
- Her relationship with William was depicted as a love affair, involving many partings and returns from war.
- After an unhappy love affair, Brennan moved to New York where her real story starts.
1.1An intense enthusiasm or liking for something: the great American love affair with the automobile
More example sentences
- Nationalism is about an intense love affair with the homeland.
- I eventually bought all their albums and began a life-long love affair with Canadian rock.
- It was here that his lifelong love affair with European culture began.
enthusiasm for, mania for, devotion for, passion for
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: love af·fair
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.