Definition of love affair in English:
1A romantic or sexual relationship between two people, especially one that is outside marriage.
- How could he possibly tell his parents that he was involved in a love affair with a married woman?
- Her relationship with William was depicted as a love affair, involving many partings and returns from war.
- After an unhappy love affair, Brennan moved to New York where her real story starts.
1.1An intense enthusiasm or liking for something: the great American love affair with the automobile
More example sentences
- Nationalism is about an intense love affair with the homeland.
- I eventually bought all their albums and began a life-long love affair with Canadian rock.
- It was here that his lifelong love affair with European culture began.
enthusiasm for, mania for, devotion for, passion for
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan