Definition of love-lies-bleeding in English:
A South American plant with long, drooping tassels of crimson flowers. Cultivated today as an ornamental, it was formerly an important cereal-type crop in the Andes.
- Amaranthus caudatus, family Amaranthaceae
- Here a bouquet of dahlias, astilbe, and love-lies-bleeding is tucked into a wire basket embellished with supermarket rhubarb.
- Vernacular names such as love-lies-bleeding and florimer (flor-amor) reflect this misunderstanding.
- The dark red Amaranthus caudatus is commonly called 'love-lies-bleeding'.
Definition of love-lies-bleeding in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.