Definition of love-lies-bleeding in English:
A South American plant with long, drooping tassels of crimson flowers. Cultivated today as an ornamental, it was formerly an important cereal-type crop in the Andes.
- Amaranthus caudatus, family Amaranthaceae
- Here a bouquet of dahlias, astilbe, and love-lies-bleeding is tucked into a wire basket embellished with supermarket rhubarb.
- Vernacular names such as love-lies-bleeding and florimer (flor-amor) reflect this misunderstanding.
- The dark red Amaranthus caudatus is commonly called 'love-lies-bleeding'.
Definition of love-lies-bleeding in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan