Definition of lover in English:
1A person having a sexual or romantic relationship with someone, often outside marriage.
- The two of them quickly pair off and start swapping sexual secrets and tales of past lovers.
- It is not at all clear what motivated her in her relations with her lovers.
- She is my lover, my mistress, and she has betrayed me in the worst possible way.
1.1A person who likes or enjoys something specified: he was a great lover of cats music lovers
More example sentences
- He was a great lover of music, animals, and country life and enjoyed tennis and golf.
- From the start the festival has proved a popular draw with jazz lovers by offering good music, mostly for free.
- I think the easiest way to sum it up would be, I'm a lover of acoustic music, I always have been.
- Example sentences
- His affection is, however, gained by one of the dogs in the kennels: Katy, an abandoned bulldog with whom he senses an obscure empathy (related, no doubt, to his feeling of affinity with the widowed and loverless Teresa).
- True, the therapist who advised one loverless friend of mine to buy a new ‘feminine’ wardrobe and a makeup kit did find herself quickly minus one patient.
- ‘A Love Story’ is for the loveless, loverless, lovelorn and the love-struck.
Words that rhyme with lovercover, Glover, hardcover, plover, undercover
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.