Definition of low-pitched in English:
1(Of a sound or voice) deep or relatively quiet.
- Our evolutionary fear of certain sounds, such as low-pitched sounds indicating aggression or high-pitched screeches indicating alarm-calls, has been with us for thousands of years.
- They point to research showing that manatees cannot hear the low-pitched sound of slow-moving boats and thus avoid approaching vessels.
- One was a high-pitched sound that resembled a doorbell while the other was a low-pitched sound that gradually increased in pitch.
2(Of a roof) having only a slight slope.
- The roof is low-pitched and small dormer windows are sometimes used.
- The low-pitched roof form was sufficiently high to enable the inclusion of a first-floor cooking school, which overlooks the centre spine.
- Both buildings have low-pitched roofs and overhanging eaves supported by brackets that are typical of the style.
Definition of low-pitched in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.