Definition of low-water mark in English:
1The lowest level reached by the sea at low tide, or by a lake or river during a drought or dry season.
- The vessel was sunk in the middle of the river below the low-water mark.
- We have to protect that strip of land that is from the high-water mark to the low-water mark.
- He said these were susceptible to a problem called ‘accelerated low-water corrosion’ which was corrosion around the low-water mark which could now be reinforced.
1.1A minimum recorded level or value: the market was approaching its low-water mark
More example sentences
- On July 19, the Yankees reached a low-water mark when they fell 14 games back of the Red Sox.
- That last sentence must rank as one of the low-water marks of contemporary journalism.
- This model must be the low-water mark for their designers.
Definition of low-water mark in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan