Definition of lower house in English:
1The larger of two sections of a bicameral legislature or parliament, typically with elected members and having the primary responsibility for legislation.
- Under the German constitution, the Bundestag, the lower house of parliament, must be convened within a month of the election.
- Tasmania's got an electoral system where there's only 25 members of their lower house, the House of Assembly.
- Representatives to the lower house were elected by Puerto Ricans.
1.1 (the Lower House) (In the UK) the House of Commons.
- Until today when the vote on its progress was sent to the upper house after scraping through the lower house last week (I think).
- This proposal is to be debated this autumn by the lower house, the House of Commons, as the next step towards it becoming law.
Definition of lower house in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.