The study of games and gaming, especially video games: ludology, like the games it studies, is not about story and discourse at all but about actions and events
More example sentences
- The timeline begins in 4000 B.C. and goes up to 1999 - and includes a zillion swooping arrows showing how ludology developed.
- In video game circles, the big debate these days is about whether video games are driven by narrative or by play-style - narrativology vs. ludology.
- As story and game-play fold together, ludology can be seen as providing a set of comprehensible rules for dramatic interplay based on user choices.
- Example sentences
- The ludologists see this technique as anathematic to the gameplay experience; narratologists say it adds depth and direction.
- There is an ongoing battle between two videogame factions: the ludologists, who believe that game mechanics are everything, and the narratologists, who argue for the importance of story.
- Ludologists allegedly argue that games should be understood from the standpoint of "play" and narratologists allegedly argue that games should be studied for their narrative content.
1960s: from Latin ludere 'to play' + -ology.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of ludology in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.