Definition of luminosity in English:
noun (plural luminosities)
1Luminous quality: acrylic colors retain freshness and luminosity
More example sentences
- So placed, the light sculpture's flickering luminosity seems to both recall an earlier contemplation and act as new illumination to a newer generation.
- With the trappings of representation obliterated, the paintings offer a lean and stripped down physicality defined by specific proportion, luminosity and surface quality.
- It hurtled through a void, an immense cathedral of black pitch, specked with faint pinpoints of light whose pale luminosity underscored the darkness that shrouded them.
1.1 Astronomy The intrinsic brightness of a celestial object (as distinct from its apparent brightness diminished by distance).
- Stars, however, come in a staggering range of luminosities, spanning ten orders of magnitude ten powers of ten.
- Stars of lower mass and luminosity, however, glow dimly with red light for billions of years: the redder the star is, the older it is.
- Its luminosity will eventually become about a thousand times higher than today, and its vastly expanded diameter will reach the earth.
1.2 Physics The rate of emission of radiation, visible or otherwise.
- The peak photon energy occurs at 10 keV and the total X-ray luminosity is 1045 ergs/sec.
- Because of small body movements or maybe sudden changes in luminosity, some of the recorded emission spectra showed artifacts.
- The first 15 photophase hours were at a 1000 lux luminosity and the last hour (simulating dusk) was at 25 lux luminosity.
Words that rhyme with luminosityanfractuosity, animosity, atrocity, bellicosity, curiosity, fabulosity, ferocity, generosity, grandiosity, impecuniosity, impetuosity, jocosity, monstrosity, nebulosity, pomposity, ponderosity, porosity, preciosity, precocity, reciprocity, religiosity, scrupulosity, sinuosity, sumptuosity, velocity, verbosity, virtuosity, viscosity
Definition of luminosity in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India