A globular fish of cooler northern waters, typically having a ventral sucker and spiny fins; a lumpfish.
- Family Cyclopteridae: several genera and species
More example sentences
- Small projections or denticles are also commonly observed on suckers from a variety of other animals including the suckers of the clingfish, the lumpsuckers and other aquatic vertebrates and on tadpoles.
- The weather was promising, the tides along the South Coast were right and I had taken to the road in search of a strange fish called a lumpsucker, which Wittering Divers said I could find on the wreck of a Mulberry Harbour off Bognor Regis.
- One of the strangest fish you might encounter in spring is the male lumpsucker, which is left in shallow water guarding and nurturing his egg clutch after mating.
Definition of lumpsucker in:
- The British & World English dictionary