Definition of luna moth in English:
A very large North American moth that has pale green wings with long tails and transparent eyespots bearing crescent-shaped markings.
- Actias luna, family Saturniidae
- It's not glamorous, but I must say that if I had to metamorphose into an insect, I could have done far worse, such as a meal-worm or one of those creepy luna moths.
- Particularly fascinating for Cooper was that each grouping - luna moths pinned in neat rows, elephant skulls all in a line, a jumble of sharks in a jar of alcohol - was a constant reminder of nature's endless variation.
- The poem's title arises from its final, extraordinary image of a female luna moth hanging in foliage outside a country church (presumably the Honey Creek Meeting House).
late 19th century: luna from Latin luna 'moon' (from its markings).
Definition of luna moth in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India