1The interval of time between two successive crossings of the earth’s meridian by the moon (roughly 24 hours and 50 minutes).
- Thus their ‘day’ would not be based on the movement of the Sun, a 24-hour cycle, but rather a lunar day, lasting 24 hours and 50 minutes.
- The length of the lunar day is thus identical to the length of its revolution around Earth.
- Based on lunar day of 24 hrs 50 minutes, will provide accurate indication of tide cycle.
2 rare The interval of time between two successive sunrises as seen from the moon.
- It was designed to operate for three lunar days, but the scientific team succeeded in keeping it operating for eleven lunar days - the equivalent of 10 months.
- Over the month-long lunar day, we'd see the Earth turn in place every 24 hours.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: lu·nar day
Definition of lunar day in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.