Definition of lunar day in English:
1The interval of time between two successive crossings of the earth’s meridian by the moon (roughly 24 hours and 50 minutes).
- Thus their ‘day’ would not be based on the movement of the Sun, a 24-hour cycle, but rather a lunar day, lasting 24 hours and 50 minutes.
- The length of the lunar day is thus identical to the length of its revolution around Earth.
- Based on lunar day of 24 hrs 50 minutes, will provide accurate indication of tide cycle.
2 rare The interval of time between two successive sunrises as seen from the moon.
- It was designed to operate for three lunar days, but the scientific team succeeded in keeping it operating for eleven lunar days - the equivalent of 10 months.
- Over the month-long lunar day, we'd see the Earth turn in place every 24 hours.
Definition of lunar day in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia