- 1A crescent-shaped figure formed on a sphere or plane by two arcs intersecting at two points.More example sentences
- Hippocrates was able to find the areas of lunes, certain crescent-shaped figures, using his theorem that the ratio of the areas of two circles is the same as the ratio of the squares of their radii.
- He squared certain lunes, and also the sum of a lune and a circle.
- In particular Simplicius quotes the writing on Eudemus on Antiphon's attempts to square the circle and also the attempts of Hippocrates when he squared certain lunes.
- 1.1A filled pasta case made from a circle of pasta dough folded over.More example sentences
- But that trademark finesse is never far away in the form of goat cheese tortelloni with dried orange and fennel pollen, or pumpkin lune with butter and sage.
- Lisa had the pumpkin lune complete with grated cookie.
- I made Lauren get the pumpkin lune because you have to have the pumpkin lune when you go there.
early 18th century: from French, from Latin luna 'moon'.
More definitions of luneDefinition of lune in:
- The British & World English dictionary