Definition of lune in English:
1A crescent-shaped figure formed on a sphere or plane by two arcs intersecting at two points.
- Hippocrates was able to find the areas of lunes, certain crescent-shaped figures, using his theorem that the ratio of the areas of two circles is the same as the ratio of the squares of their radii.
- He squared certain lunes, and also the sum of a lune and a circle.
- In particular Simplicius quotes the writing on Eudemus on Antiphon's attempts to square the circle and also the attempts of Hippocrates when he squared certain lunes.
1.1A filled pasta case made from a circle of pasta dough folded over.
- But that trademark finesse is never far away in the form of goat cheese tortelloni with dried orange and fennel pollen, or pumpkin lune with butter and sage.
- Lisa had the pumpkin lune complete with grated cookie.
- I made Lauren get the pumpkin lune because you have to have the pumpkin lune when you go there.
Early 18th century: from French, from Latin luna 'moon'.
Definition of lune in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.