- 1A sudden forward thrust of the body, typically with an arm outstretched to attack someone or seize something: he made a lunge at herMore example sentences
- Link made a sudden lunge at the squirrel, attempting to get it back.
- With a sudden lunge at the commodore, he sent the other man stumbling back.
- Eaher abruptly turned to the offensive, stepping in with a lunge at Tahr's shoulder, sword at arm's length.
- 1.1The basic attacking move in fencing, in which the leading foot is thrust forward with the knee bent while the back leg remains straightened.More example sentences
- Kneeling on the ground, arms hanging by your sides, step forward with your left foot into a lunge, bending the knee so it aligns with your left ankle.
- The weight still shifts to the heel for increased power during the lunge so in the moment of the lunge, the rear foot faces straight across the strip.
- Move on to walking lunges, forward and backward.
- 1.2An exercise or gymnastic movement resembling the lunge of a fencer.More example sentences
- He advanced from simple stomach movements to leg and groin stretches, one legged squats, lunges and myriad exercises aimed at strengthening the middle of his body.
- Pushups, lunges and handstands are the most productive and efficient exercises for training strength, balance and coordination.
- When performing leg exercises, only supported lunges or squats should be performed, especially after the first trimester.
verb (lunges, lungeing or lunging, lunged)[no object] Back to top
- 1Make a lunge: the sequined guests lunged at the food John lunged forward and grabbed him by the throatMore example sentences
- I lunged at her and grabbed her around the waist, thanking her with the deepest, most passionate kiss inside me.
- Morgan lunged at Katazheniya, grabbing her hand and pulling her back out through the bathroom door.
- She doused her hands with liquid, handed it to Veronica, and lunged at Jake, grabbing his face.
- 1.1 [with object] Make a sudden forward thrust with (a part of the body or a weapon): Billy lunged his spear at the fishMore example sentences
- Jengo lunged his sword forward, impaling the blade in another creature's mouth.
- Sammael waited for a moment before lunging his sword at Jessam.
- Jean nodded and was quick to strike, lunging his sword in Tyson's direction.
mid 18th century: from earlier allonge, from French allonger 'lengthen'.