- A bristly herbaceous European plant of the borage family, typically having white-spotted leaves and pink flowers that turn blue as they age.[so named because the leaves were said to have the appearance of a diseased lung]
More example sentences
- Genus Pulmonaria, family Boraginaceae: several species, in particular P. officinalis
- For a sophisticated color combo, consider blue lungwort, so named because it was once thought to have medicinal qualities related to the lungs, and the later-flowering pale yellow Narcissus ‘Jenny’.
- While exploring the woods near his home, he came across a forest meadow erupting in purple pasqueflowers, blue lungworts, yellow anemones and white corydalis.
- Flowering bulbs such as hyacinths, daffodils, crocuses, and tulips, along with hellebores, lungworts, and heathers carpet the ground beneath.
More definitions of lungwortDefinition of lungwort in:
- The British & World English dictionary