Definition of lungwort in English:
A bristly herbaceous European plant of the borage family, typically having white-spotted leaves and pink flowers that turn blue as they age.
[So named because the leaves were said to have the appearance of a diseased lung]
- Genus Pulmonaria, family Boraginaceae: several species, in particular P. officinalis
- For a sophisticated color combo, consider blue lungwort, so named because it was once thought to have medicinal qualities related to the lungs, and the later-flowering pale yellow Narcissus ‘Jenny’.
- While exploring the woods near his home, he came across a forest meadow erupting in purple pasqueflowers, blue lungworts, yellow anemones and white corydalis.
- Flowering bulbs such as hyacinths, daffodils, crocuses, and tulips, along with hellebores, lungworts, and heathers carpet the ground beneath.
Words that rhyme with lungwortnipplewort • bladderwort
Definition of lungwort in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan