Definition of lycopod in English:
A club moss, especially a lycopodium. Giant lycopods the size of trees were common in the Carboniferous period.
- Class Lycopsida: several families
- Coal forests of giant lycopods, calamites, pteridophytes and ferns cover the tropical landmasses.
- The largest of these primitive ‘trees’ were giant lycopods reaching upwards of 20 meters, but most of the plants grew to less than a meter above the ground.
- The earliest of the vascular plants are the pteridophytes and lycopods.
mid 19th century: anglicized form of lycopodium.
Definition of lycopod in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India