Definition of lyrebird in English:
A large Australian songbird, the male of which has a long, lyre-shaped tail and is noted for his remarkable song and display.
- Family Menuridae and genus Menura: two species, in particular the superb lyrebird (M. novaehollandiae)
- A feature of the book that has attracted much attention is ‘a world list of superior singers’ including 194 species, from Australian lyrebirds to canaries, heard by himself or reported by others.
- The lyrebird of Australia imitates other birds - and other sounds as well.
- They all construct mounds of earth or vegetation either for display - as does the super lyrebird - or as an incubator for eggs, as do the mallee fowl and the brush turkey.
Words that rhyme with lyrebirdbowerbird • thunderbird
Definition of lyrebird in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan