- 1(Of literature, art, or music) expressing the writer’s emotions in an imaginative and beautiful way: the poet’s combination of lyrical and descriptive powerMore example sentences
expressive, emotional, deeply felt, personal, subjective, passionate, lyric
- Here the creaky melodrama is swept away by Tchaikovsky's lyrical music.
- Everybody must have this recording in their collection: It is the most sublime music and sophisticated and lyrical jazz ever recorded.
- The lyrical art writing of John Ashbery, Bill Berkson, and Peter Schjeldhal has obvious affinities with Pater's.
- 1.1(Of poetry or a poet) lyric: Wordsworth’s Lyrical BalladsMore example sentences
- Yet Seferis survived all this, and the lyrical anguish of the poetry is his testament.
- Since he writes neither drama nor epic, he said, his poetry can only be lyrical.
- He was portrayed as a brilliant lyrical poet, but an ineffectual dreamer whose poetry improved when he outgrew his youthful radicalism.
- 2Of or relating to the words of a popular song: the lyrical content of his songsMore example sentences
- Calypso according to Duke is our current editorial in song, timely in lyrical content and rhythm and relevant to said time and place.
- Blimey, some of this recording is rather risqué - from the sultry photographs of Miss Phair that accompany the artwork to some of the lyrical content of the songs.
- The folkier side of it comes out in the story-telling aspect of the song, the lyrical content.
- Talk in a highly enthusiastic and effusive way: waxing lyrical about his splendid son-in-lawMore example sentences
- It is approaching midnight in a cafe on the outskirts of Moscow and a group of enthusiasts are waxing lyrical on the subject of their favourite car, the Lada.
- In these pages last week, our art critic Iain Gale waxed lyrical - and certainly much more lyrically than I can ever wax - about the richness of the Demarco collection.
- I mean, is it strictly necessary to emerge from the shower, grab a towel and commence a sawing action under your crotch while simultaneously waxing lyrical about Fairtrade bananas?
- More example sentences
- His songs were rich both lyrically and musically, anthemic and yet intimate.
- Halcyon, her third album, released last year, is evidence of a songwriter lyrically and musically in her prime.
- Their music is lyrically complex while the melodies are immediate, beautiful and fulfilling.