Definition of lysine in English:
A basic amino acid that is a constituent of most proteins. It is an essential nutrient in the diet of vertebrates.
- Chemical formula: NH2(CH2)4CH(NH2)COOH
- Hydroxyl radicals oxidize amino acids such as lysine, serine, arginine, and proline.
- Arginine appears to counteract the hypercholesterolemic effect of the essential amino acids lysine and methionine.
- The most prevalent amino acid is cysteine with other major ones including tyrosine, histidine, lysine and arginine.
Late 19th century: from German Lysin, based on lysis.
Definition of lysine in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.