Definition of lysis in English:
1 Biology The disintegration of a cell by rupture of the cell wall or membrane.
- Inhibition of cell wall synthesis by penicillin resulted in disruption of the cell wall and lysis of the cell.
- Presumably, the shock treatments that elicit bursting disrupt the balance of wall synthesis and lysis responsible for cell wall extension.
- Apparently cinnamaldehyde blocks mitochondrial respiration and causes lysis of cultured liver cells.
2The gradual decline of disease symptoms.
- Samples for alkaline elution were kept in ice during irradiation and successive treatments until the lysis step.
- Hemoglobin measurements at timed intervals, used previously, are somewhat cumbersome and produce a relatively small number of measurements during a lysis time course.
Definition of lysis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan