Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of maa in English:
verb (maas, maaing, maaed)[no object]
(Of a sheep, lamb, or goat) bleat.
- Kizzy was maaing so loudly she got the human's attention.
- A noisy mixed herd of goats and sheep clomped over the wooden bridge, baaing and maaing their little head off.
- She maaed so loud I could hear her in the house with the door closed.
nounBack to top
The cry of a sheep, lamb, or goat.
- He looked up at her and gave a maa.
- The goat let out another loud maa.
- Immediately we crested the hill we were greeted with maas of delight.
Early 18th century: imitative; compare with baa.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.