Entry from British & World English dictionary
Definition of maa in English:
verb (maas, maaing, maaed)[no object]
(Of a sheep, lamb, or goat) bleat.
- Sheep made their way into the barn, goats maaed to one another.
- These sweet little guys "maaed" and wrestled and jumped around to get our attention and food.
- She maaed so loud I could hear her in the house with the door closed.
nounBack to top
The cry of a sheep, lamb, or goat.
- They barely even let out a maa.
- When he was feeding the sheep, Dad heard this little maa.
- Immediately we crested the hill we were greeted with maas of delight.
Early 18th century: imitative; compare with baa.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.