1 (also macadamia nut) The edible nut of the macadamia tree.
- Its flavour has been likened to a cross between a Brazil nut and a macadamia nut.
- Although a macadamia nut is 75% fat, most of the fat is monounsaturated.
- Like two other symbols of Hawaii, the pineapple and the macadamia nut, the ukulele is in fact an immigrant.
2The Australian tree that produces the macadamia nut, with slender, glossy evergreen leaves.
- Genus Macadamia, family Proteaceae: several species, especially M. integrifolia and M. tetraphylla, which are cultivated for their nuts.
- Saxby Bridge has enthusiastically marketed all sorts of tax effective schemes involving things like tea trees, macadamias, wine and even online lingerie.
- Around 1882 the macadamia was introduced to Hawaii, and flourished.
- More than 50,000 Mum and Dad investors claimed billions in tax deductions through the '90s for investing in things like macadamias, tea-trees and wine.
Modern Latin, named after John Macadam (1827–65), Australian chemist.
Words that rhyme with macadamiaMesopotamia
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of macadamia in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.