Definition of macaroni penguin in English:
A penguin with an orange crest, breeding on islands in the Antarctic.
- Eudyptes chrysolophus, family Spheniscidae
- This is true for minke whale, Antarctic fur seal, Adelie, chinstrap, gentoo and macaroni penguins, black-browed albatross, and white-chinned and cape petrels.
- Only macaroni penguins (including a subspecies, royal penguins) appear to be in reasonable health.
- Commercial fishing also impacts macaroni penguins in Antarctica.
early 19th century: so named because the orange crest was thought to resemble the hairstyle of dandies known as macaronies (see macaroni).
Definition of macaroni penguin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India