Definition of macaroni penguin in English:
A penguin with an orange crest, breeding on islands in the Antarctic.
- Eudyptes chrysolophus, family Spheniscidae
- This is true for minke whale, Antarctic fur seal, Adelie, chinstrap, gentoo and macaroni penguins, black-browed albatross, and white-chinned and cape petrels.
- Only macaroni penguins (including a subspecies, royal penguins) appear to be in reasonable health.
- Commercial fishing also impacts macaroni penguins in Antarctica.
early 19th century: so named because the orange crest was thought to resemble the hairstyle of dandies known as macaronies (see macaroni).
Definition of macaroni penguin in:
- British & World English dictionary