Definition of machine gun in English:
An automatic gun that fires bullets in rapid succession for as long as the trigger is pressed.
- It was a giant machine gun that fired plastic bullets and grenades.
- The most important of these were the bolt action rifle and the machine gun, and hand grenades and mortars.
- She felt several bullets strike her helmet as she fired the machine gun at the remaining attacking soldiers.
verb(machine-gun) [with object] Back to top
Shoot with a machine gun.
- Several hundred were machine-gunned in the Santiago soccer stadium; others shot to death in the street.
- We were bombed, machine-gunned by the planes, without respite.
- European Union External Affairs Commissioner Chris Patten noted at that time that he was repulsed by the sheer savagery of the attack where sleeping infants were machine-gunned to death at close range.
- Example sentences
- Nobody wonders: What of those machine-gunners?
- On their orders, 83 American prisoners of war had been murdered by Waffen S.S. machine-gunners.
- The pain of the needle felt good to the 40-year-old former Army sergeant, whose memories of his nine months as a machine-gunner in Iraq had left him, he said, ‘feeling dead inside.’
Definition of machine gun in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India