- 1A full-length waterproof coat.More example sentences
- The cold, damp winters require heavy coats, mackintoshes (rain-coats), and warm woolen clothes.
- Riders competing in the jumping classes braved the rain, put on their macintoshes and carried on.
- His face broke into a grin when he saw Ruth coated with a similar mackintosh.
- 1.1 [usually as modifier] Cloth waterproofed with rubber.More example sentences
- During my usual mid-morning stroll along Bond Street, London, I noticed I was being followed by a short man wearing what appeared to be the lining of a dogs basket cut into the shape of a macintosh jacket.
- The macintosh jacket is updated with delicate details such as a belted collar and flower-print lining.
- I ordered the macintosh jacket I've been wanting for a while now.
mid 19th century: named after Charles Macintosh (1766–1843), the Scottish inventor who originally patented the cloth.