Definition of macle in English:
1A diamond or other crystal that is twinned.
- Almost all the creeks that have produced gold crystals have produced triangular spinel-twinned crystals or macles.
- Flattened contact twins are known in the gem trade as macles.
- Good brown macle twins up to several carats in weight have been available in recent years from the Udachnaya mine.
2 another term for chiastolite.
- The chiastolite, or macle, shows the representation of a cross on its surface, this effect being produced by the regular arrangement of carbonaceous impurities along the axes of the crystal.
- The variety chiastolite (also called cross-stone, or macle) forms long prisms in a cross section.
Definition of macle in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.