A tall white-flowered lily with golden pollen. Native to Asia Minor, it is traditionally associated with purity and is often depicted in paintings of the Madonna.
- Lilium candidum, family Liliaceae
More example sentences
- Lilium candidum, the madonna lily is the oldest known lily, and was most likely the first flower to have been used as a cut flower.
- The Madonna Lily, when it is immune from disease, to which it is very prone, has a vigorous constitution, being so hardy that frost does not injure it.
- I'm of European origin, and one thing I can say is that the Madonna lily is extremely common there, barely a garden without it.
More definitions of madonna lilyDefinition of madonna lily in:
- The British & World English dictionary