(also madrasah or medrese /-ˈdresə/)
- A college for Islamic instruction.More example sentences
- So, at most madrasa graduates can aspire to become teachers in madrasas, imams in mosques or else open another madrasa of their own.
- Irwin supports the theory that the Court of Lions was never a palace at all; rather, it was a madrasa, an Islamic college, its architecture derived from madrasas in Morocco with their colonnaded cloisters.
- In Turkey, most madrasas (medreses) were closed and state schools opened; at al-Azhar, secular faculties were introduced.
Arabic, 'school, college', from darasa 'to study'.
More definitions of madrasaDefinition of madrasa in:
- The British & World English dictionary