noun(the Mafia) [treated as singular or plural]
1An organized international body of criminals, operating originally in Sicily and now especially in Italy and the US and having a complex and ruthless behavioral code.
- Where Mafia and drug barons rule, investigators of any kind become targets.
- Under Italian criminal law it is a criminal offence to be a member of the Mafia.
- Women in the Mafia have been documented as a rising trend in Italy's criminal underworld.
1.1 (usually mafia) Any organized group using extortion and other criminal methods.
- Smuggling, bribery, protection rackets and the rise of criminal mafias are some of the common symptoms of rigidly controlled economies.
- Often sex rackets and drug mafias operate under the veil of these centres.
- There must be a solid hierarchy and system of protection safeguarded by organized crime syndicates or mafia.
1.2 (usually mafia) A closed group of people in a particular field, having a controlling influence: the conservative top tennis mafia
More example sentences
- Leaving the court mafia intact would make the fight against corruption useless.
- Thieves, vandals, and con artists appeared, and online mafias emerged.
- Sandalwood mafias thrive due to the political patronage.
Italian (Sicilian dialect), originally in the sense 'bragging'.
Words that rhyme with Mafiaraffia, tafia
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Mafia in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.