- Relating to, denoting, or containing a group of dark-colored, mainly ferromagnesian minerals such as pyroxene and olivine. Often contrasted with felsic.More example sentences
- Variably serpentinized Devonian mafic and ultramafic intrusive rocks occur in the western and northern parts of the map area.
- The alternating bands of mafic and felsic minerals are a striking and distinctive feature of all gneisses.
- If such adiabatic freezing were to control the ascent of hydrous mafic magmas, basalts would probably never erupt in volcanic arcs.
More definitions of maficDefinition of mafic in:
- The British & World English dictionary