Hot fluid or semifluid material below or within the earth’s crust from which lava and other igneous rock is formed by cooling.
- Massive sulfide deposits may also form in other settings where water circulates in rocks near cooling magma.
- What they do know is that a ‘slow rise’ of magma is driving lava to the surface, which has created a new lava dome in the mountain's crater.
- Melts form at the highest temperatures and lowest pressures resulting in large volumes of tholeiitic magma that form shield volcanoes such as Mauna Loa.
- Example sentences
- In central and northern Sardinia there is evidence of an Ordovician magmatic belt upon older basement interpreted as an Andean-type volcanic arc.
- Thin-section analysis shows that the minerals forming the magmatic foliation do not show any signs of deformation or recrystallization.
- Rifting was associated with magmatic activity.
Late Middle English (in the sense 'residue of dregs after evaporation or pressing of a semiliquid substance'): via Latin from Greek magma (from massein 'knead').
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.