- Relativity would arrive, not from concerns over the flaws in Newton's mechanics, but rather from contemplating the forces of electricity and magnetism as well as the mysteries of light.
- Maxwell's theory of electromagnetism, for example, united the previously disjointed phenomena of electricity and magnetism.
- In 1820 the Danish physicist H C Orsted produced experimental results on electricity and magnetism.
All magnetism is due to circulating electric currents. In magnetic materials the magnetism is produced by electrons orbiting within the atoms; in most substances the magnetic effects of different electrons cancel each other out, but in some, such as iron, a net magnetic field can be induced by aligning the atoms.
- Jacques-Louis Lions was a man of considerable personal magnetism and charm, whose charisma, brilliance as a teacher, and accessibility attracted other to work with him.
- Professor Krebs's brilliant mind and personal magnetism have attracted numerous students to his laboratory.
- I stood transfixed, staring as he glowed with magnetism and enchanted charm.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.