- The region surrounding the earth or another astronomical body in which its magnetic field is the predominant effective magnetic field.More example sentences
- August 2 marked the beginning of 10 days of flares and explosions that would stir up the magnetosphere and radiation belts of Earth.
- Like the Solar Wind, the magnetosphere is full of plasma, consisting of ions and electrons.
- Observations from Earth showed that Jupiter has a massive magnetosphere and that the planet emits radiation at radio wavelengths.
- More example sentences
- Though magnetospheric physicists have long puzzled over the mechanism that accelerates the particles inside Earth's cavity, recent observations suggest that the Van Allen radiation belts act as a sort of cosmic particle accelerator.
- The observations showed a bending of the magnetic field, with the magnetospheric plasma being slowed and deflected by the moon.
- I work in planetary science, which includes very different fields like geology, atmospheric science, and magnetospheric studies - fields that rarely overlap.
More definitions of magnetosphereDefinition of magnetosphere in:
- The British & World English dictionary