- A Chinese game played, usually by four people, with 136 or 144 rectangular pieces called tiles. The object is to collect winning sets of these tiles, as in card games such as gin rummy.More example sentences
- The elderly like Chinese opera, drama, classical music, and playing mah-jongg.
- Card games and mah-jongg, a Chinese game similar to rummy that is played with ivory tiles, regularly involve gambling.
- Other exhibits included Chinese Kung Fu, Chinese chess, mah-jong, Chinese calligraphy and palmistry.
early 20th century: from Chinese dialect ma-tsiang, literally 'sparrows'.
More definitions of mah-jonggDefinition of mah-jongg in:
- The British & World English dictionary