- 1(In South Asia) a person regarded with reverence or loving respect; a holy person or sage.More example sentences
- India is the birthplace of Hinduism as well as Buddhism, motherland of Sikhs and Jains, the abode of more rishis, sadhus, mahatmas, and maharishis than any place on earth.
- There have been great saints and mahatmas in the past, who replied thus even to emperors and monarchs.
- Those whose actions show them to be self-realized are often described as mahatmas or great selves.
from Sanskrit mahātman, from mahā 'great' + ātman 'soul'.
More definitions of mahatmaDefinition of mahatma in:
- The British & World English dictionary