Definition of maidenhood in English:
1The fact or condition of being a young, unmarried woman.
- Are there not charms by which the property of youth and maidenhood may be abused?
- Three of the plays deal with young women about to be married but who still enjoy the relative freedom of maidenhood.
- I have waited long enough; I have got tired of maidenhood.
1.1A girl’s virginity: she had forsworn that her maidenhood would be kept sacred
More example sentences
- He wanted me to be kept so I could be married to a prince or king with my maidenhood intact.
- In one novel the deserted maiden loses a lock of hair, in the other her maidenhood.
- While most brides today marry in white (which symbolizes maidenhood), the tradition is only as old as the 16th century.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia