- The parliament of various North African and Middle Eastern countries, especially Iran.More example sentences
- Reformist leaders in the majlis regularly blast President Khatami for failing to tackle a long list of economic and social issues.
- In 2000 Iranians chose a relatively liberal majority from a carefully screened list of candidates for the country's parliament, or majlis.
- The more traditional forms of representation in which the poor man - any man - could take his troubles direct to the ruler in his majlis no longer exist.
Arabic, literally 'assembly'.
More definitions of majlisDefinition of majlis in:
- The British & World English dictionary