Definition of majoritarian in English:
Governed by or believing in decision by a majority.
- The democracy part implies that those areas of policy requiring collective decision making will reflect majoritarian preferences.
- He believes the Greens' values are majoritarian values that can reach across the political spectrum.
- How can majoritarian politics durably sustain policies harmful to majority interests?
nounBack to top
A person who is governed by or believes in decision by a majority.
- Richard concludes his essay with an observation that I wish conservative democratic majoritarians (and their democratic compatriots on the left) would take to heart.
- Third, I do not claim that all the Founders were ‘libertarians,’ but (as I discuss in my book but not in this paper) neither were they democratic majoritarians.
- But this libertarian view antagonizes both the diversitarians and the majoritarians more than anything, more even than they antagonize each other.
- Example sentences
- First, the dominant principle of American democracy is not unconstrained majoritarianism.
- This majoritarianism has combined with other features to provide Britain with responsible party government.
- Still, there is a distinction to be made between majority rule and majoritarianism.
Words that rhyme with majoritarianagrarian, antiquarian, apiarian, Aquarian, Arian, Aryan, authoritarian, barbarian, Bavarian, Bulgarian, Caesarean (US Cesarean), centenarian, communitarian, contrarian, Darien, disciplinarian, egalitarian, equalitarian, establishmentarian, fruitarian, Gibraltarian, grammarian, Hanoverian, humanitarian, Hungarian, latitudinarian, libertarian, librarian, millenarian, necessarian, necessitarian, nonagenarian, octogenarian, ovarian, Parian, parliamentarian, planarian, predestinarian, prelapsarian, proletarian, quadragenarian, quinquagenarian, quodlibetarian, Rastafarian, riparian, rosarian, Rotarian, sabbatarian, Sagittarian, sanitarian, Sauveterrian, sectarian, seminarian, septuagenarian, sexagenarian, topiarian, totalitarian, Trinitarian, ubiquitarian, Unitarian, utilitarian, valetudinarian, vegetarian, veterinarian, vulgarian
Definition of majoritarian in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan